LESSONS LEARNED
1.
You just can’t understand until you’re really in
that spot.
2.
As I had read over the years, offers of “let me
know if there is anything we can do for you”, while very well intentioned and
from the heart, really aren’t helpful. I can’t even wrap my brain around what I
really need right now. Do we have toilet paper? Have I eaten today? Can I
decide what funeral songs are best by myself?
3.
At least now, knowing that he is with Jesus and
that I will see him again one day is not making up for the fact that I am not
seeing him now and miss him desperately.
4.
It is possible to simultaneously feel completely
justified in my level of grief and also feel that I should be able to pull it
together better than this. Also to need to be with people and need to be alone
at the same time.
5.
I have the best husband on the planet.
6.
I raised great kids.
7.
My mom is awesome.
(I already knew the last three, but
this has solidified the facts.)
8.
Guilt over even short moments of laughter and
happiness is real.
9.
I am surprised how the littlest things at the
oddest moments can bring the deepest grief. (For a split second, wondering if
the ringing phone might be him. When talking with my kids, no longer having to
distinguish whether I’m talking about my dad or their dad. Seeing his
undelivered birth present on the table.)
10. There
are 9 million things to be done and decisions to be made between death and
burial. And I’m assuming in the weeks after also.
11. Some
things you just can’t unsee. It’s like a permanent etching in my brain that
flashes past my eyes at random and frequent moments.
12. You
don’t realize how many times you have to deal with giving the explanation “My
dad died suddenly this week and …” to the bank and the utilities and the
pension plan and etc etc etc and how each time it’s a fresh stab of pain.
13. How
you can pray and wish for the pain to go away and then, in the rare moments of
exhaustion when the numbness sets in, wish for the pain to return because of
the completely unexplainable void the numbness leaves.
14. How,
when you suddenly feel like the paralyzed man in the book of Luke that couldn’t
get to Jesus himself, it is comforting to know that you have friends that carry
you and lower you down through the roof to put you into the presence of Jesus.
Thanks to everyone of you who has lifted me in prayer this week.
You are always in my thoughts and prayers and even more as you are going through this process. I can1 relate to so many of your comments, and hope you find the strength and the comfort of knowing your dad is in heaven.
ReplyDeleteHe was a wonderful man.
Fall apart, but just don't stay there. Smile at all his memories and know how much he loved each and every one of you
Traci